Sunday, July 20, 2014

Dog food Cabinet

I wanted an area to have my dog food bowls, water, and food storage all in one place. I also wanted to do it so my dogs wouldn't have to stoop over to eat or drink- and they are BIG dogs!!



So I decided to take an old, beat up bedside table and convert it.


I already had the food and water bowls I wanted to use, so i just needed to make them fit in here. First thing I did was trace a hole slightly smaller than the lip of my water bowl onto the tabletop and I cut it out using a jigsaw. 


Then I cut out the drawer dividers with the reciprocating saw.



The top drawer was for the dog food bowls. I used the drawer front from the bedside table and added the board that previously held my dog food. I placed it low enough on the drawer so it would not hit the water bowl when the drawer was closed. 


I bought new side cabinet door slides since the previous ones were undermount slides connected to the dividers I removed. 


The food storage cabinet was made from 3/4 inch pine boards and I also used side cabinet slides that were able to hold about 80 lbs since the dog food would be stored in there. I had to use LOTS of wood filler to fill holes, scrapes, cuts, and dents since this bedside table had been used by my 16 year old son for several years. 


I then painted and added new hardware that I had left over from a previous bathroom remodel.

The end result!!!




As an added note, although I was careful to make sure the food bowls did not hit the water bowl, I forgot to make sure they didn't hit the top of the drawer below. Oops!! So I can't open and close the food bowl drawer with food in them or else the food will get knocked around. but it works fine when they are empty!!

 :)







No comments:

Post a Comment